Monday 6 June 2011

Red Lily Beetles

Yesterday I went to my neighbours to compare gardens and chat plants. While I was touring her garden beds, I noticed her lily pant was full of holes.. I pulled up the leaves and there were a handful of red beetles on the plant so I told her I'd find out what they are. Well it turns out she's got a problem with Red Lily beetles and that sent me into a tizzy.  I lost a family member to cancer 2 years ago and had promised to plant lilies for her and the 2 lilies I picked out promise to be beautiful. I'm sure she would be delighted with them. That being said I don't want those beetles killing my lily plants. Yesterday I found 1 beetle on one of my lilies.  From what I have read, they seem to be hardy little creatures and the only real way to rid yourself of them is to hand pick them (ewwww!!!!!) off your plants and drop them in a bucket of water or to use dichotomous earth... any suggestions??

2 comments:

  1. I think picking is the preferred method. (Ew, I know) They are very recent to AB. I don't know anyone in Edmonton who has them yet but it is only a matter of time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. S.... well that gives me the heebie-jeebies! I hope you don't get them.. but I think you are right, it's only a matter of time. The damage hasn't been all that bad, I picked a few off and then they just stopped coming

    ReplyDelete